Friday, April 18, 2008

Unexpected Detour to Washington DC

On my way to Brazil two weeks ago my flight from Washington DC to Sao Paulo was cancelled. The whole thing was a huge hassle and major pain, but in the end didn't turn out to be so bad. I had never visited Washington DC before and since my cancelled flight was rescheduled for the following evening, I took advantage of the situation and toured the city during my day there. After taking a cab to a train station and a train into the city, I walked all along The Mall to the Washington Monument, Reflecting Pool, Lincoln Memorial, and Vietnam Memorial.




Then I grabbed lunch and ate in it a park right across from the White House. After peeking through the gates surrounding the White House I walked around the Tidal Basin to the Jefferson Memorial.


I happened to get stranded in Washington DC at the perfect time of the year because the Cherry Blossom Festival was happening! The blossoms were beautiful!


After wandering among the trees next to the Tidal Basic I walked to the Capitol and then headed back to my hotel.


Not a bad day after all! And...and the end of my day, I got to get dinner at Bob Evans, which I was pretty excited about since I hadn't been there in years and I used to work there (we don't have Bob Evans restaurants in CA).

1 comment:

Diane said...

You were blessed to have a delay in a city where you haven't been, with the smell of cherry blossoms in the air, the sun in your eyes, and surrounded by history.